Friday, July 6, 2012

Abby Update

UPDATE: I was very optimistic this morning when I posted the note below. In the meantime, Abby has started to decline. The blood transfusion she had 2 days ago helped until this afternoon when her body started fighting those red blood cells. Her number has dropped. She's still eating and drinking and we are trying a new drug since she's eating. Original post: Our awesome vet said it made a big difference having us visit every day and try to get Abby to eat. I am happy to say that after a very scary and unexpected decline, Abby has been on a steady road of recovery. I would say that we are out of the dark forest and on the edge of the sparse woods. We are not quite home free yet, but we are on our way. Abby's red blood cell count continues to be stable or rise, since it dipped so alarmingly low on July 4th. As of this morning, our vet is very excited about her progress to date. So we believe we should be taking our baby girl home tonight. Given that she remains stable, of course. I will have shots that I need to give her. Todd is out buying baby aspirin for her right now. I will post details someday about how damn scary this has been. This disease is actually not rare, and it does happen. I think knowing the signs might help other dog owners. I have said before that I donate blood to try to "pay it forward" to protect my family and friends. I believe karma just helped me out. Big time.

1 comment:

Mouse said...

I'm so relieved to hear that Abby is going to be ok. I've been thinking about her and hoping you'd find the edge of the forest. Can't wait to see some happy pics of her back home with her posse.