Sunday, September 15, 2013

BnB '13 the Fall Edition Finale

What a great visit Tullybird and I had.  It was great for her to experience another season in the Midwest.  It was fun to see someone observe things that I take for granted.

Cicada's are in full chorus in the trees.  I love the sound of those awesome little (actually, not so little) bugs.  It's like Mother Nature's white noise to me.  Next to softly falling rain, it can lull me right to sleep.  I really wish she could have heard the screech owl.  That would have been a real hoot.


The highlight of our time for me was the horseback trail ride.  We started the day with a tasty breakfast sammich.



Grilled homemade bun, crispy bacon, cheddar cheese and an over-easy egg = yummy


The day was beautiful and warm.  Not too hot, not too cool, it was just right.  I got to introduce Tullybird to my boyfriend Jake, and she got to see all the other animals too.  Here we are on the trail.


I know you're thinking of the theme music to Bonanza
Cowgirls!
Our horses casually walked the hour long ride.  It was just long enough to make our tail bones remind us that they are there.  This was my view on the trail:


There were just 5 of us on the ride
Towards the last part of the ride, we went through a grove of trees.  All the other horses were hanging out there since it was nice and cool.  The guide had instructed us to keep our horse on the path following the horse in front of it, and don't stop.  This picture is really blurry, but you can see the horses on the far edge. We had walked right by them.


I hope you're not adjusting your glasses, this isn't meant to be in focus--I was ON A HORSE!
We were almost out of the "forest", and the "lead" horse, the top dog, the alpha male, the #1 Kahuna, decided to "play" with us.  He came up and stood right in front of my horse.  HOLY COW.  So I told Cheyenne (my horse) to Whoa and stay.  The lead horse wasn't moving out of my way.  The horse in front if it, started to act like it wanted to kick back.  That made the lead horse act like he wanted to kick my horse!  So, I kept mine still and didn't move any closer.  Then all of a sudden, the lead horse walked in line, like he wanted to go on the trail ride with us!  We all walked a little ways, then he just went on his merry way.  It was intense--and SO COOL!!!!  

Horses mystify me.  They all have their own personality, just like dogs.  They are huge, playful, beautiful, vulnerable, and strong, all at the same time.  I am so enamored with them.

After our ride was over, the other couple had brought apples and carrots to feed the horses and let us have some too.  It was funny to see which horses did not like apples, and which did not like carrots.  I believe most preferred the carrots.  Our trail guide was actually Topgun (and his owner).  He's absolutely magnificent.


Topgun, you melt my heart
After our morning equine adventure, we planned to stay in that area.  We went to a farmer's market type of store, only on a farm.  I am happy to report, it is officially PUMPKIN SEASON!!!!
This extra tall pumpkin made my heart happy to see its beauty
Two more pumpkin beauties
We visited a local winery, ate at their restaurant, and did a little shopping in the little town.  We returned home to have a wonderful prime rib dinner.  I can't believe we hadn't prepared this for her yet.  I made a homemade raspberry dressing that turned out pretty good.  We dined like queens and a king that night!


Beef!
The next day, we went shopping on The Plaza.  We had lunch at our favorite burger place Blanc Burgers & Bottles, and had martini's.  Now, that's a good day off!

Our lunchtime 'Tinis
Tullybird loves their Homemade Pickle Martini.  My Strawberry Blonde Martini was just alright.  It needed to be sweeter.  It had limon vodka, strawberry vodka, and strawberry puree, and probably something else that I don't remember.  It was missing something, but I still drank it!

I hadn't had seafood in awhile, so I opted for the Salmon Burger.  I heard it was great.  It was very nice and light.  I was not overly stuffed and miserable after I finished it, but I was very full.  I enjoyed every bite, and the Asian slaw was brilliant.

Yep, I gave my pickle to Tullybird

Smoked Gouda, bacon, an onion ring, some fancy ale BBQ sauce, those were the highlights of her burger
Tullybird's burger looked incredible and she loved it!  I'm having that one next time if I am in the mood for beef.  We had sweet potato fries, and OMG were they tasty.  I really loved them, especially with the slightly spicy aioli dipping sauce.  My mouth was on fire, but I didn't care.


We had chicken stuffed Mexican style Giant Marconi peppers for dinner.  We had watermelon margaritas for our evening beverage.  Hey, it was her last night, so we had several watermelon margaritas!

My cheesy chicken stuffed Giant Marconi pepper
Very tasty way to eat watermelon

The next morning, we actually got to stop by a garage sale in my old neighborhood.  Tullybird got to meet the old 'hood.  Then I dropped her off at the airport.

It was back to reality for her.  Luckily, I had a few more days off.  I can't wait for her next visit!  We have So. Much. Fun.

No comments: