Sunday, February 2, 2014

This Little Piggy

A little less than a year ago, I heard an interesting story on NPR about "piggy cookies".  The story left me intrigued!  I learned that it is a traditional Mexican cookie.  Pati's Mexican Table looks like an interesting blog with lots of recipes right up our alley.  I can't wait to taste some of these recipes. 

It made me realize that people all over the world have traditional foods that you and I will probably never even see, not to mention taste.  But, I can seek them out.  Especially if it's a cookie.

A few weeks ago, we were shopping in the big city, and had lunch in "little Mexico", an area known for all of the Mexican restaurants and markets.  We walked past a bakery and decided to go in and see what we would find.  It was interesting looking through the bakery cases, and not recognizing a single item.  It was kind of exhilarating.

I chose a Mexican Sweet Bread that looked like it could have something inside.  Todd chose a plain roll for a sandwich later.  We were checking out, and I was still mesmerized by all of the lovely looking deliciousness by which I was surrounded. 

AND THEN I SPOTTED IT!

Low and behold, there was my beloved piggy cookie.  Sitting in the bakery case staring at me as I had looked right past it several times.  I KNOW the Mexican ladies thought I was a little loco when I spotted the piggy shaped cookie because I shrieked with delight!

Finally, I had a piggy cookie.  And It. Was. Lovely.



Oink!

Do you remember the Grandma's brand of cookies in the grocery stores?  They used to have a molasses flavored cookie, but apparently they no longer make it.  It is NOT the same as a gingersnap cookie, there was no ginger in this molasses cookie.  Here is a little known fact for you:  My oldest brother and I both loved this cookie!  I remember buying them at quick trip with him when I was a kid.  It was soft and chewy, with the mildly sweet flavor of molasses.

That is what this piggy cookie tasted like.  

It was very thick, over a half inch tall.  It was almost like bread.  It was not sweet like an American cookie with a boatload of sugar.  It was mildly sweet.  At first I was disappointed because it didn't taste sweet and then I realized my palette is so desensitized to sugar.  So I tried another bite.  Then I found myself being drawn to it.  Then I decided that yes, I really do like it.

If you ever have a chance to try something new, try it!  You just might like it. 

2 comments:

Toddy said...

El Loco for sure!

TRICIA said...

Then I am loco as well! My absolute fave of all time.