Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I WILL Do It!

Howdy!  I know it's been awhile since I've blogged steadily.  However I still have ideas and thoughts to share.  I think of ideas mostly when I run.  You know, when it's most inconvenient to start typing.

I'm spending a fair amount of free time training for an upcoming 1/2 marathon.  It's my first ever.  I decided last September to start training for it, well, just to see if I could.  And I can.  I knew once I hit the 8-mile-threshold, that I will make it.  I can do this.  I got it!

The hardest threshold for me was to run 5 miles several times a week, and then to up that to 6 miles.  I never thought I'd be able to walk again after going this far just a couple times a week.  My feet hurt so bad and my ankle was not a happy camper.  I stuck with it though, and now 5 or 6 miles just feels GOOD.  It's a great distance for me.

I went 9.5 miles last weekend, and I'll go 10.5 the weekend after next.  I know I can do it, and that makes me happy.  I keep breaking personal record distances, and it's an amazing feeling.

I did not always like running.  But what changed my mind was the day I realized one simple fact.  The first mile ALWAYS SUCKSThere is no way around it.  Warming up and loosening up is not fun.  Walking, then jogging and getting into a pace just plain sucks until about mile 1.  Once I realized this fact, accepted this fact, and expected this fact, I started enjoying running.

I run on a treadmill, and I like it.  Most people think I'm nuts.  I don't care to run outside.  I hate the wind, loathe the sun, and value my ankles more than uneven pavement.  I always know what the climate will be.  My chances of skin cancer are reduced.  There are no mosquitoes.  There are nothing but positives to me for running on a treadmill.  I don't get bored because I have my tunes and my thoughts.  I am my best company.

But I will be at a disadvantage when it comes to race day because I haven't been running outside.  But I'm OK with that.  I don't have lofty goals.  I don't want to run fast.  I just want to finish.

And I know I can.

3 comments:

MitchelWB said...

Awesome! You're doing better than me right now!

You might think about getting out and running some short runs on the sidewalk soon though. I know you don't want to, but pavement is a lot harder than treadmill. You could be setting yourself up for some nasty shin splints. If you were only training for a 5 or 10k, I wouldn't worry about it, but 13 miles is a long way!

Toddy said...

I'll just drive you to start at Mile #2, problem solved!

Anonymous said...

Your husband is so helpful!

Once again, I am in awe of your awesomeness! Running! Long distances!!! I do not understand it, I truly don't, but I admire it like crazy!!