Friday, February 15, 2013

What A Week


This has been a whirlwind week for me!  I had a business trip to California.  It was totally exhausting, a lot of fun, even more hard work, and it represented a major personal milestone.

First, the fun.  I ate the Most. Amazing. Food.  If you will remember, I showed you food from this same resort when we went here last year.  This year, we didn't have a "fun" afternoon so there was no food/wine tasting to attend, but the food was still amazing the entire week.  I caught a glimpse of the chef once and it was the same guy from last year.

Since I was so close to the coast, and I looooove me some seafood, I ate it every chance I had.  Over the 4 days, I had sea bass 3 times, salmon twice, and a crab cake and a fish cake.  It was all really fresh and incredible.  I had tons of fresh salads with rich, fresh dressings and creamy cheeses.  I realize I just used the word fresh 3 times, but I swear the lettuce had just been picked and washed that morning and the fish just swam up and jumped on my plate.  I probably gained 10 pounds, and it was all worth it. I'll get back to the gym soon....

This was the kind of week where every minute was scripted on an agenda.  As early as a 7:30am meeting to the time the shuttle last departed to take me back to my hotel at 11pm.  I have never been so tired in my entire life.  We had great meetings, great food, and really great parties.  Now for pics of the goodness.

Fish cake served at the fancy-shmancy awards dinner

Sea bass at the fancy-shmancy awards dinner
with risotto and heirloom toms

Ready for the fancy-shmancy awards dinner.  No I did not wear heels.
I had blisters from the heels I wore all day and the thought made me cry.
At least I bought a new pair of leather flats.
 
I wore my party flower ring and
carried the purse my mom gave me.
WANTED to wear my tiara.

The food was obviously great.  The parties were just as great.  One night there was a Moroccan themed party with an award-winning BBQ chef who started smoking meat in the expansive driveway the night before the party.  I know, how they coupled those two themes up, I'll never know, but it worked.  I had pulled pork and coleslaw that made me feel like I was in my own dining room, it was that good.  The ribs were OK and the brisket was pretty good (very tender with a nice pink smoke ring).  I was so full that I skipped the dessert table (can you believe it?) and missed the Moroccan food.  I did partake in the massage chair, the henna tattooing, and the photo booth.  I skipped partaking in the dance floor but enjoyed watching those who did.  I was impressed that they had Grey Goose at the open bar.  ;-)

My henna tattoo right after it was applied
 
My henna tattoo the morning after I got it
I didn't tell Todd about it, I let him see it once I got home.  I thought it turned out pretty cool.  He got to see it on valentine's day!

I mentioned that this was a personal milestone trip.  The reason is because I gave two presentations to two different very large groups of people.  I was petrified when I learned I would be presenting.  Then I remembered, oh yea, I can DO THIS!  I will just remember what I learned in Toast Masters, and I will do GREAT!
 
This is what I looked like when I presented to 100 people

And this is what I looked like when I presented to 250 people
Yes, you read that caption right.  I presented to 250 people!  It was more than a little intimidating, but I had plenty of support in the room and I knew my content, so I did just fine.  I still hate hearing my voice over the speakers, but at least I can mentally get over it.

I'm so glad this week is over.  I've been preparing for this past week since last November.  It went well, I had fun, and I was successful.  I didn't pee, barf, stutter, trip, forget my words, or look like an idiot.  It was a great week.

I was tuckered out after this past week.
So was Joey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look so pretty! That dress was gorgeous, even without a tiara.

I'm sorry, did I read that you SKIPPED a dessert bar? Wow. I mean, WOW.

Glad you had such a great week. Hope you're rested up soon! xoxo

Toddy said...

My baby the professional, and professional napper too!

caseyoconnell said...

The tiara comment tickles me--were you channeling Amy Farrah Fowler there? :-) You look great in all of your outfits--your hair is especially great.