Saturday, December 24, 2011

Memories

It's kind of funny, the things you consider "normal" or a part of your every day life, and you probably don't even realize them.  And then once you make a major change, like move, your "norms" change.

We used to see on a regular basis, certain people walking the 'hood.  There was a really old nice man who would walk with a golf club.  He'd sit on the wall around our front tree for a rest.  In the summer when we were out doing yard work, we'd stop and chat.  He was a constant sight, and then we moved to NV.  We heard he passed away some time after we had moved.  We were sad.

It makes me think about what "norms" I have now, that I would miss if this weren't where we landed.  Well, I wouldn't have known what I was missing if I'd never been here, but that's despite the point.  Just makes me stop and think about the norms and appreciate them.  I'm not talking about traditions. 

On this Christmas Eve, traditions are a different thing entirely.  We are about to eat a scrumptious meal, open our one early present, and watch a couple of movies.

I leave you with this, a picture I took the last time we visited Kevin & Suzie.  He is another "norm" we would always see driving around Mission.  It made me happy to realize, he's still there.

1 comment: