Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mom's Oklahoma Cooking

Because a few of you (Tricia) love to drool over my mom's cooking, I want to share the pics from last weekend.  Keep in mind, the dogs were cooked for too (there is not a meal that doesn't have cooked hamburger mixed in for them--and you thought I was SPOILED!).

Let me explain that I hate stew.  I HATE stew.  I literally despise the disgusting stuff.  It's what some lazy unimaginative person chooses to dump in a pot from what leftovers are in the fridge and add a few carrots and water and pass it off as dinner.  Blech.  But not my mom's IRISH STEW.  This dish has a bottle of Guinness in it, and it's eaten OVER MASHED POTATOES!  I used to think all meat in stew was bland blobs of chewy, tough, grisly hunks of protein.  First, this stuff was cut in small enough chunks that I don't feel like I am eating a side of cow with each bite of meat.  Secondively, each piece was seared so that there was a browned flavor on all sides and it was so tender I could cut it, but didn't need to, with a fork.  Did I mention mashed potatoes?  The third reason that makes this really great is that all of the vegetables are cut small.  So in each bite, I taste a little bit of everything.  Not just one big bite of hideous carrot.  <shudder with disgust>  Friday night, we had Irish Stew.  Keep in mind, these chunks look bigger than they really were--my spoon is on the side.  Fresh parsley only put this dish over the top.



Saturday morning held a table with my favorite and also Todd's favorite.  Pancakes and Bacon.  Oh, and a few fried eggs on the side, cause that's just how it is in Oklahoma.  The pancakes had finely chopped pecans in the batter.  And there was all this fresh fruit to put on top.  It was luscious.  The bacon was good too, and the over easy eggs were divine.  There is just nothing better than my mom's fried eggs.  It's just a fried egg.  But it's mom's fried egg with salt and pepper, and it's cooked in that kitchen with that taste, and it just doesn't taste the same anywhere else.  I also like the eggs I make.  I even probably love my own fried eggs, and I am getting good at making them and not breaking the yolks and not over-cooking them, BUT they aren't the same as my mom's.  But I digress.  Here is a picture (sorry the close up of the pancake turned out blurry).



Doh!  I forgot there was berry crumble Friday night.  Mom made homemade berry crumble with all kinds of berries plus cherries.  So it was nice and tart yet sweet from the crumble topping.  It was very tasty.


Saturday night, we went to dinner at Murphy's and had a "hot hamburger".  Don't know why I didn't take a picture.  I guess cause it wasn't mom's cooking.

Sunday morning was another dish of paradise.  That day was homemade toasted buns, hash browns, and sausage gravy.  With fried eggs.  ;-)  Sorry, I haven't downloaded that pic yet.

Good thing I started at the gym Tuesday.

I leave you with a pic of all the dogs before we left.  This was the best one:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry I read this post first thing in the morning. My stomach is growling and I have to head off to the treadmill. Sigh.

I want your mom to adopt me and feed me until I burst. Would that be a problem? & don't get me started on the dogs. Mine would think they'd died and gone to heaven!!

Love the puppy picture. Not bad for 5 dogs!!! I love how Shadow is right in there with the rest of the fam.

samsmom said...

I agree with Mrs. Irritation. My stomach started growling, my mouth started watering and now I'm counting down the hours to lunch...but I want IRISH STEW instead of the usual salad! Bah!

Mouse said...

Irish stew is so going on our menu this week. Thank you! The mashed potatoes is the genius part of that meal. No mealy, over cooked potatoes soaked in the stew all day! Blech!

And I just can't tell you how much I love the dogs lined up like a school photo.

TRICIA said...

I am heating up my pan right now to make me some tasty eggs. Organic fresh eggs from Winnemucca. That crumble has me week in the knees. I'm not a stew fan either, but that taste mixture sounds amazing over potatoes. My favorite food group is potato.

Toddy said...

You've not experienced it until you have!