Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pumpkin Harvest & BluesNBrews 5K

Howdy!  I had an action packed weekend full of dirt and sweat.  So I would call that a great weekend.
 
Saturday started with the harvesting of the pumpkin patch.  In total, we got 25 pumpkins from a 4'x8' frame.  We had at least 5 or so more pumpkins that were claimed by the bugs/rotted so much that they went straight to the compost bins.  I was expecting more than this at the end of the harvest.  Next year we are going to triple our frame size.  We have the field, so why not?!?
 
We only had two pumpkins that were untouched by the bugs.  THOSE seeds will be grown next year for sure!  Also, I have a few tricks up my sleeve for next year's battle with the bugs.  They better watch out, cause we've got plans.
 
Even though I was wanting even more in total, it's a very attractive line up.  I have a few picked out for the front porch and a few to give away.  I'm afraid they wont last too long though because of the blemishes by the bugs.  It's like they took two bites and went on to the next one.  Geesh, talk about picky eaters.
 
I dunked them in bleach water to try to slow the growth of bacteria, so let's cross our fingers, shall we?  Here they are lined up drying after their bath:


It's Pumpkin time!

Sunday has been a great day because I ran in the inaugural Blues N Brews 5K with Heather!  I also exceeded the pace time I wanted and surprised myself at the end--wahoo!  That must explain why my knee and ankle are wildly throbbing right now and I am hobbling around like a little old lady.
 
Today started WAY too early.  We woke up at 5:30.  Todd was such a good sport about this.  We picked up Heather and made our way downtown to where all the crazy people were:
 
 
Notice the sun coming up in the background?
I noticed the moon was almost full when we first got there.
My and my medal.  And my Blue Moon beer.
Because I had to put a Brew in this race.
 
We were very pleased to make it to the finish line with good times.
Not real pleased that there was no food, no free beer, no dancing cobras,
and the concert was way later than we wanted to stay.
The Blues Travelers were playing a free concert this morning for the event, but it was like 2 hours after we were done, so we bailed.  Nice thought, but maybe next year.


Todd is such a great sport about these events!

Now I'm off to bed to nurse my ailing body parts.  They aren't rebounding like they used to.  Oh, planting 100 irises today may have something else to do with it.  I only have 50 more to go.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're my hero. Pumpkins, running - you can do it all!