Saturday, May 25, 2013

BnB '13 the Final Edition

I didn't keep up with blogging each day of Tullybird's visit.  There was just way too much fun going on to sit down and type.  So now that I am home alone with time to myself, I can catch you up on all the fun.  Fasten your seat belts (but not too tight).
 
Sunday:
We shopped around my town.  Tullybird found a pair of Dan Post boots that she almost bought.  Now she knows what she is looking for in a pair of boots!

Todd made the best Pork Wellington I have ever devoured.  He covered a pork loin with a finely chopped (via food processor) mushroom, onion and stone ground mustard mixture, covered with prosciutto, and then wrapped in puff pastry dough.  As if that were not enough, he made a sauce with cream and green pepper corns and I don't even know what else.  OMG is all I can say.  To quote our friend, K, it was the best pork he had ever eaten.  It was juicy, hot, tender, rich, and tasty.  It was cooked perfectly.  I guess OMG wasn't all I had to say. 
Pork Wellington
We needed to use the pineapple I had planned on drinking upon her arrival Friday night, so we had pineapple margaritas.  Yummmmmm.

I love fresh pineapple margaritas

We played pinball. Lots and lots of pinball. Last year, we didn't play any, so we made up for lost time.

Lots of pinball action in our basement

This picture is fun, because I know she had no idea I took this:
My photo bomb of Tullybird playing pinball

Monday
We spent the morning sleeping in, and someone may have taken a nap.  It was cloudy and overcast so it was a nice day to be slightly lazy.  We went to my favorite nursery and bought some plants after we ate a Carlos O'Kelly's for lunch. 

That evening, we watched the purple martins fly around.  They are vocal birds with a beautiful song.  Todd evicted a crap-bird from one of the apartments.  Sorry, we just didn't have room at the Inn for this one.  I got some great pics of the eggs that we didn't realize were there.

 

Todd smoked a tasty pork butt and I made coleslaw.  I've got the dressing down to a fine art now.  So does Todd with his pork shoulder!

Todd's pork:  drool!


Pulled pork sammiches with smashed red potatoes

Tuesday
We spent the day in KC.  Tullybird used to have an aquarium in her home with elaborate sea life.  She doesn't have it anymore, but when she did, she put a lot of care into it.  So I knew that she would enjoy the (newer) Aquarium at Crown Center

The "petting zoo" where you get to touch everything

Tullybird's favorite--the Puffer fish

I've ALWAYS wanted our pic in "the bubble"!!!


There were wormy-snake like "things" going in and out of the sand
-shudder with horror-

Jelly fish!

My favorite--the sea horse
 For lunch, we had an amazing experience on the Plaza at Blanc Burgers + Bottles.


Dirty Pickle Martini
pickle infused vodka with a house-made pickle
Our burgers were I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E!!! 

She had the ALL AMERICAN KOBE:  smoked gouda, mother's brewing apple bacon IPA jam, roasted garlic aioli, watercress, salt + pepper brioche bun. 

I had the INSIDE OUT: bleu cheese stuffed burger, applewood-smoked bacon, onion ring, house-made ketchup + mustard, green leaf lettuce, onion brioche bun.  I asked for it to be cooked medium, and I'll be darned, they not only listened--they DID it!

We had a cart of Truffle fries.  I wasn't crazy about the fries because I couldn't taste anything but oil, so I opted to pig out on my burger.  I had no room left for a Salted Caramel Shake, but man, I will have one some day.

Really tasty burgers, cooked perfectly
That evening, I made pork chimichangas and homemade guacamole.  Todd was craving stuffed peppers (with cream cheese and crab), so he bought some at the store and we toasted them up.  It was a really great meal!


Holy Guacamole, pork Chimichanga, &
crab/cheese stuffed peppers

For various breakfasts we had:
  • Ham cups filled with an egg and cheeses
  • "Apple Pie bacon" and cheesy scrambled eggs
  • Mini Dutch Baby pancakes
Bacon cured with apple pie spices

Wednesday We went to a local restaurant that just opened back up after having been closed due to a fire 2 years ago.  They are known for their fried chicken.  I love their salad dressings, corn and chicken.  I've been there twice in the past week...

Family-style fried chicken dinner

Galvin's leftover chicken
We went home and had a cocktail to celebrate our last evening together.

Toasted Marshmallow Caramel Martinis
Saweeeeeet!
Toasted Marshmallow Caramel Martini:
1    part Irish Cream
1    part Kahlua
1    part Amaretto
1.5 parts Toasted Marshmallow syrup
2    parts Caramel creamer


And now for my very favorite picture from the entire week.


BnB 2013!

Can't wait for next year!

2 comments:

TRICIA said...

Had the best time. The aquarium was awesome! The burgers -delicious. The home made food-what can I say- 7 pounds heavier. The Martins,garden, and pups are all other memories. Love the bomb photo.

Toddy said...

Countdown to next year!