Sunday, February 26, 2012

Happy 9th Birthday!

Our kids turned NINE YEARS OLD yesterday!  In celebration, I broke out the ol' Three Dog Bakery cook book and whipped up a masterpiece.  I love baking for my kids.  They somehow instinctively KNOW I am baking Just. For. Them.  It's rather odd how they know.  Maybe it's the way I look at them while I'm twirling about the kitchen, grabbing the bananas, or the wheat flour, or the yummy peanut butter.  Oh, they know what's in a peanut butter jar, trust me.  Nothing but love.

This year, I substituted molasses for honey, and I had no eggs.  So I substituted an extra banana and a little more baking powder for the missing egg.  Worked like a charm--thanks for the tip, Internet.  They never noticed a difference.

See my masterpiece here:

I know this looks like a backwards G, but I wanted to maximize the use of cake.  The children agreed with my approach.  Also, I wasn't going to frost the sides because that gets really messy.  So I stuck dried banana chips to the edge with frosting.  They agreed with this use of banana chips too.

Notice their tongues as they impatiently await their birthday cake.
This is not their first rodeo:


After the cake feast, these pics remind me of coming off a sugar high (except the only sugar was molasses). 

Here is Shadow (and this was her first rodeo birthday party):


Here is Abbytail:

And here is Keystone:  

Go here to watch the feast:



A special Happy Birthday to my God-dog-son Baxter, who I miss.  We send lots of hugs, kisses and love to this special guy on his special day too.

Happy Birthday to my furry 9 year olds!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are such a good mom! I failed miserably on the birthday front, other than making him wear a hat and we sang to him several times during the day. We used to do the Birthday Dance but his crappy knees can't handle that anymore. The cake looks AWESOME! I'm so glad Shadow got to have her first taste of birthday cake! Speaking of which, are you going to make up a birthday date for her?

Hugs and kisses to you all! When B heard your voice on the video he RAN right over! Maybe he could smell the cake...

Mouse said...

Happy Birthday to the pooches! I can only hope to be as good of a pet parent as you some day.

Anonyvox said...

They look cake-drunk! Too funny.