Saturday, March 3, 2012

Flash Back In Time

We watched a movie tonight. The movie is a year old, cause honestly? We aren't real current on movies. We literally have movies produced in the past 10-15+ years that we haven't watched. Current movies produced today... We'll be watching in several years.  It's just the way life goes.

We watched the light hearted adventure comedy, Paul. The movie was OK. It had a few cute moments and a few funny moments I laughed out loud.  I can't remember what they are today, so it wasn't overly fabulous, but it wasn't a waste of 2 hours of my life.  That isn't in itself blog worthy.

You guys, what transported me back instantaneously to 1980 was the song at the end. ELO All Over The World. I was immediately transported back into like a 5th grader when I knew every single word to the Xanadu record. I lived for and loved that movie.  I loved Olivia Newton-John, the music, the clothes (leg warmers!), the roller skating; I loved EVERYTHING about that movie.  I wanted to be Olivia.  She was so romantic and beautiful to my pre-teen self.  During the winter months when I couldn't be at the local public swimming pool growing gills, I was at the skating rink. I LOVED to roller skate. I can't tell you why, but just hearing that ELO song tonight got me all choked up remembering that movie before I could consciously even recognize the memory. Somehow, it had a profound impact on me. What the impact was, I don't really know. 

What's ironic is that we just found my old LP from back then--the very record I listened to over, and over, and over.  Now I need to buy a record player.  Do you recognize this cover?
olivia newton john  :: Xanadu - Original Sound Track

On one hand, I'd like to watch the movie again. But on the other hand (maybe my dominant hand) I'd like to keep it a sweet childhood memory. It could never possibly live up to my memories, so why ruin it. The fantasy in my head skates on!

Do you remember Xanadu? Did you live at the skating rink too?

3 comments:

TRICIA said...

I loved roller skating as well. The local rink was a short walk away. Xandadu - OMG! Brings back memories. I say you keep the chilhood version and don't watch as an adult.

Mouse said...

Now that song is in my head. I'll be singing it all night. Xaaaanaduuuuuuu.

We lived across the highway from our tiny town's amusment park that had a skating rink. I remember one summer in particular, I was there every Friday night. I usually won the limbo contest, too. What a blast from the past. I haven't thought about that in years.

Anonyvox said...

It's possible that between our mutual Lush and Xanadu love that we might have to get married someday. Or at least end up in the same nursing home. :-)

That's hands-down my favorite musical of all time. I don't know why they chose such a drip of an actor for Sonny, though. He's a douche. That movie spurred my lifetime adoration for Gene Kelly. My aunt was a flight attendant for United and she met him on one of her flights, and told him how much I loved him. He said he was really pleased to hear that someone so young (this was in the 80s, so I was still pretty young) appreciated his work. *grin*