Sunday, November 4, 2012

Not A Typical Sunday




Today was a special celebration.  We participated in a 5K this morning to raise funds for lung cancer.  I ran a good race, and Todd actually walked the 5K!  Todd usually hangs around with Keystone, drinking coffee and wondering what all these nutjobs are doing out here in the dark/cold running so early in the morning.

Our sunrise drive to the event

This event has been a day that our friend/neighbor has spoken about for over a year now.  Let's call him "K".  K lost the love of his life to lung cancer about 5 or 6 years ago.  Each fall, he participates in raising funds for lung cancer by walking in the Lung Hill Run.  Members of his family join together to celebrate and remember his wife and support this worthy cause.  K actually co-captains a team with another person who lost her husband to lung cancer.

There was no question, as we have bonded with K over the past year, we had to participate in such an important event.  Todd and K go garage sale-ing and bargain hunting every Friday.  We often have each other over for dinner or we meet for lunch.  K is such an awesome man.  I never had the privilege of meeting his wife, but I can only imagine how much we would have loved her.  She married a great man, and they raised two wonderful women.  She had to be special, to have formed such a great family. 

My heart sincerely goes out to them that she is no longer here.  I am getting to know K's two daughters, around my age, when he has cook-outs and invites us to come up and visit with the family.  K has 4 wonderful granddaughters.  They are each so beautiful, on the inside and out.  I think the oldest may have met her grandmother, but I believe the youngest 3 did not.  Regardless, I know they can't remember her.  I feel so badly that she's not here to witness the wonderful mothers her daughters have grown to become.  They are great people.

Anyway, we really enjoyed joining in their special day.  We went to the race. I ran, and they all walked.  Keystone was chillin' just taking in the scenery.  Then we all went to a great little place that had a great brunch buffet.  Highlights of the brunch:  Bloody Mary bar and bread pudding with whiskey sauce (which was divine but really ugly, so no pics of the pudding).


The veggies, meats, and saucy spices to garnish a Bloody Mary

Several liquid options to finish your Bloody Mary

My finished Bloody Mary.  I am now a fan of this drink.
After I took a sip, I added a piece of beef jerky and a meat stick.  Because I could.

I am so glad we chose to participate in K's special day.  I thought often this morning of not only his family and how they lost someone special, but I also thought of my aunt who died in May and how her family lost someone special.  My heart went out to them then, and it goes out to them now.  I still can't believe my Aunt Linda is gone.

Cancer sucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed that Todd participated. How awesome are you guys? Just almost as awesome as those bloody marys! I do love a bloody mary but I think it's hard to find a good one.