Saturday, August 27, 2011

Welcome Home!

Upon our drive up the driveway to our new house, no less than 6 neighborhood dogs "welcomed us home". All in all, we are very happy with our decisions. This house is going to be great, and it's going to be home. At night, it is SO dark because we are in the country. It is so enjoyable to go sit on the front step in the morning, having a cup of coffee and listening to the birds while dreaming of what we want to do to our land. I can envision a walking trail around the perimeter already. We have an over-grown fire pit; I can't wait to have a bonfire and have a party. I have officially turned into my mother. ;-)

I say that because I remember moving to the country when I was 10, and never understanding why my parents wanted to be in the middle of NOWHERE. I literally hated it. Now that I'm all grown up, I completely understand! And I think their home is paradise now. Little did I know all those years ago when I thought it was jail. Jail = 20 minute drive to civilization.

The only sad thing that has happened is that the previous owners essentially abandoned their dogs. I know, I know, I cannot understand how anyone could do that either. There is an old yellow lab, a young and very sweet boxer, and a young chocolate lab. Apparently, they are supposed to be up the hill with a neighbor now. Huh. Well THAT plan hasn't worked so well. I really feel sorry for them because all 3 are really sweet outside dogs. Their owners just don't care. It breaks my heart every time I wake up and see them in their usual spots around the perimeter of OUR house. We know they aren't starving but we are not feeding them. I think eventually they will migrate to where they are being fed, and will only show up occasionally. I'd LOVE that situation. Occasional puppy visits would be fantastic! But standing right outside my bedroom window at 10:30pm barking is not going to warm my heart. Old Shadow did give us a house warming present though. She caught us a possum. She had to work *really* hard to catch it. Just for us. And Dakota brought us a mens Asics size 14 shoe. Just the left one. We have very thoughtful "neighbors"....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GASP! I don't get how people just leave animals behind. I just don't. Assholes.

What do the kids think of their new place?

Welcome home to you all. SO happy for you!!!