Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's Pumpkin Time

We went to a pumpkin patch last Sunday on my birthday.  I think I may have gone to one over 20 years ago but never did the hayride.  And because I don't really remember it, it doesn't count.  I wanted to experience the pumpkin patch with Kevin & Suzie & their girls.  Since it was my birthday, Todd couldn't say no! 

They had many animals to visit since it was a working farm.  We saw a yellow lab puppy (chewing the front porch), a couple of pigs, geese, roosters, chickens, and who knows how many goats, donkeys and horses.  The most odd fowl we saw was a chicken (or maybe it was a rooster) with feathers on it's feet.  I don't know what I was thinking not taking a picture.  It was SO WEIRD to see a poof of feathers down like where you'd think of it's ankle.  I will have to do some research on that oddity.

Todd appreciating his favorite meat
(and Suzie starting early with the lesson of "never listen to Uncle Todd"):

We rode on the trailer full of hay bails out to the pumpkins:

It would have been way more impressive if there had been boat loads of pumpkins.  Should have gone earlier, but it was fun!  Next year, maybe we will do a corn maze.  The idea sounds intriguing.  I can just hear it now "Marco"...

Many of you probably already know this little trick, but I just learned about this.  Pumpkins rot from the outside to the inside.  So when you get your pumpkin, wash it in a sink full of water with two caps of bleach.  That will kill any bacteria on the outside.  Be sure to wash the entire stem and let it dry in the sun.  This will keep your pumpkins lasting longer!  All of mine still look like I just got them.

I leave you with this parting pic of one completely sweet baby:

And one cute cowgirl (LOVE those boots):

1 comment:

Toddy said...

It was fun! Just wish that pig was on a plate.