Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Serendipity?

I haven't had a massage in almost 4 months.  That is like half of a lifetime in dog years!   I wear my stress at the tops of my shoulders in big knots.  It was getting to the point where I hurt, all day every day.  And that was making me very grumpy.   There isn't a Massage Envy here in this little town, or an Ahhhh Massage.  Where am I supposed to go?   Drive 45 minutes to Zonarosa to the closest Massage Envy?  Surely there was a better solution.  I turned on my GPS, and searched on the word "massage".  I half way grimaced as I pressed the Go button, not knowing what would come up in the results.  Thank goodness there wasn't an oriental happy-ending place that showed up on the list.

There were several options that showed up.  Two pages worth, surely there was something decent!  I looked through them all and checked some of them out on Yelp.  OK, I was over analyzing the situation.  I decided to just try the closest one to home, and hope that it wasn't being run out of someones basement.   Angie's Salon, it was.  Besides, I hurt so bad, I know I wouldn't walk out feeling worse than I walked in.  I called last Friday and ask if they do massage.  Yep.  I asked if there was an opening on Saturday.  There was only one opening.   2:00 was mine.  At least it was a good sign that there was only one last minute opening.  Let me also explain that the closest part of town is the poorest part there is.  Read that sentence again, and you'll understand how apprehensive I was.

I expected a little "blue hair" place smelling of rotten eggs (perms) and lace curtains.  Think: Steel Magnolias.  Maybe there was a hunk of plywood on saw-horses in the back they used for massages, and if I was lucky, maybe it would be covered with a towel.

I walked in apprehensively, expecting to be disappointed and I was in for a huge surprise.  Wow, was I ever shocked to walk in and find a modern spa.  When I opened the door, I saw Redken hair products so that was a great sign.  The place is huge on the inside, and modern!  There was a separate spa pedicure area with a sort of tranquility area.  There were rows of hair cutting stations with tons of space between each station.  Immediately, my spirits lifted at the thought that this could actually be a good experience!  Erin was wonderful and my massage was great.  I walked out without pain, totally relaxed, and I swear I was 2 inches taller!  Did I mention the pain-free part?!?

I actually went there again tonight for a pedicure.  I haven't had a pedicure since I went with Tric in Sparks--it had been that long.  I've trimmed my own toenails twice since then <shudder>.  I had a very good pedicure.  I can't say that it was the absolute best I've ever had, but it was one good pedicure and I will go back again.  As a matter of fact, I'm going on Saturday for a hot stone massage with Erin, to keep my wicked shoulders in check.  And I'm going to try something I've never done before--ear candling

Can you imagine?!?!!?  I'm a waxy ear girl.  I know that is TMI for many of you, but hey, it HAPPENS!  It's natural.  I'm just too natural.  So I have to use ear wax removal drops to try to keep it in balance.  Well, it's a pain to remember to do it and most importantly it makes me dizzy, so I don't like using the drops.  So on Saturday after my hot stone massage, my earwax will be in better balance.  If you're interested, I can let you know what it's like.

What a happy surprise.  I found this GEM of a little spa in this little town, and it's only FOUR miles away!  I am thrilled and had no idea it was even possible.  What a great find.  They will definitely get to know me as a regular.  I might even <gasp> let them... cut my HAIR!

1 comment:

Toddy said...

At least it's close AND cheaper! It's also on Yelp dear with no reviews, you get the honor.