Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Gravy Any Elf Would Love

I made fried chicken, mashed taters and gravy tonight.  I've been trying for YEARS to perfect my gravy.  It's not easy.  I've been studying.

I've watched Mrs. Irritation make it. I've watched my mother countless times make it.  Why is it SO. STINKIN'. HARD. FOR. ME???

I was determined--tonight would be THE night I had success.  I didn't add too much flour to the grease.  I let it get nice and brown.  Oh no, I ran out of milk, and didn't have any canned evaporated milk!  I thought we'd be eating dry potatoes. 

Not to fear!  I just discovered that I actually LIKE soy milk.  They were giving away samples at Costco last weekend, so I tried it.  I really liked it!  I bought a case just in case I ran out of milk and couldn't have my standard Kahlua & milk to drink.  It tasted like the real thing to me when I sampled it, just like milk.  So I used a box.  My gravy consistency turned out JUST RIGHT!  Finally, I had a great looking gravy!  I timed it perfectly for the taters to be hot, the gravy to be done, the chicken to still be warm.


I served it up.  We started to eat.  That's when I realized.  Vanilla soy milk does NOT taste like regular milk.


Sorry dear. 

(at least it LOOKED good)

4 comments:

Mouse said...

Note to self, some culinary substitutions will never work, even when it seems logical.

I think gravy is like pie crust. You either have the magic touch or you don't. Some people can whip it up effortlessly, while others continue to struggle, even after countless, perfectly measured and timed efforts. It is one of life's great mysteries.

TRICIA said...

I wish I saw your faces when you dug in. From a person who has only had soy for the last 15 years, that was probably a flavor like no other.

Anonymous said...

This made me giggle!

Toddy said...

It looked good. For the next meal, spaghetti and meatballs with a caramel glaze.