Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Golden Anniversary

My parents reached their 50th wedding anniversary last fall.


That is a MAJOR accomplishment, people! 


Since I always felt bad that we did not acknowledge their 40th anniversary (selfish kids), my brother and I decided we were not going to let this one slide by unnoticed.


I knew my oldest older brother would be there whenever we set the date.  So I planned the date with my youngest older brother.  He was driving the farthest, from VA, so I had to make sure he could be away from work long enough to get there and back.  We set a date for April, 2012.  There were several reasons why we delayed the celebration, it just worked out that this spring was better than last fall.


He wanted BBQ catered.  I had no idea where I was going to come up with THAT option.  He actually wanted someone to bury/cook a hog.  I wanted a big elaborate cake.  I have pictures (somewhere) of my dad's parents with their tiered cakes on their 40th, 50th, and I think 60th anniversaries.


You may recall last December, when I told you about my reunion with SamsMom.  I am so excited to have her back in my life.  And you know what else?  She has a buddy who CATERS BBQ.  And you know what else is even better?  SHE DECORATES CAKES.  Can you believe that?  I really couldn't and still can't.  CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT TIMING?  We weren't stuck with RibCrib.  We weren't stuck with Wal-Mart cake.  We had the BEST food thanks to SamsMom.  People are STILL TALKING about the food they ate.  I suspect they will be talking about it for years.  And she takes great photos too!


We had the best party.  It was just perfect.  My parents were so cute about how excited they got about their party.  They wanted to have it at their home.  They didn't want us to rent a room/hall.  So we had it at their place.  The rain held off, and we had a gorgeous day (I was sweatin' it).


Family and friends came from all over to celebrate.  The food was OUTSTANDING.  It was the best beef brisket I have ever had in my life.  It was moist, tender, smoked to perfection.  The cake was OUTRAGEOUS.  I'm serious.  When you see the cake, you'll say, "THAT'S OUTRAGEOUSLY GORGEOUS"!  I asked my mom what kind of cake she wanted.  "Your dad likes chocolate".  So chocolate cake it was.  And I know my dad loves strawberries.


So, here is the party, in picture form:
L to R:  Tater Salad, Baked Beans*, Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork
*The baked beans had so many different kinds of meat, they were a meal on their own.

The meats were SO good.  Here's a close up:

Beef Brisket on the left, Pulled Pork on the right


brother, mom, dad, Todd, Marianna
More food!
  
Dad mingling with friends


It was a gorgeous day to be outside
Stones preferred the comfort of the couch


Especially when there was free love


SamsMom and I -- she is the reason for such a successful party!


Dad and mom mingling

Abby was excited about the festivities
My pups were so good!  Shadow was outside soaking up the sun.  Or hunting for moles.  Or begging for scraps.

Todd and I with Marianna, a lifelong friend of our family
my aunt!  (the reason for my apple pie obsession)

   
I LOVE that SamsMom photographed everyone


Great action picture!
  
Family photo:  brother, mom, me, dad, brother




Drum roll please.




 And now, a picture of.... THE CAKE!






The cake and punch table


GORGEOUS!!!

My favorite picture of mom and dad

2 comments:

Anonyvox said...

Several thoughts in no particular order:

Your dad is kind of hunky.
You and your aunt look JUST alike.
I absolutely love brisket.
I almost bought that dress you're wearing at our CostCo and seeing how cute it looks on you, I really wish that I had bought it now.
Congratulations to your parents!

Anonymous said...

I DID buy that dress at Costco and loved it but the size was too big. By the time I returned it to get another, they were out of my size. Booo! You look great in it.

You DO look just like your aunt.

I LOVED seeing all these pics. Looks spectacular and I'm so glad it all went well.