Sunday, June 12, 2011

Don't Judge THIS Book By Its Cover

I've spoken to no less than 4 real estate agents in the past 4 days.  I have little faith that I will enjoy any kind of engagement with ANY of them.  They speak solely for the purpose of hearing themselves talk.  They must HATE the sound of MY voice because I cannot get a word in edgewise.  I hate to say this, I really do, but I think it's because they happen to all be women*.  My opinion that follows does not apply to the only male real estate agent I have ever worked with, as he was our rock of sanity at an insanely crazy time in our lives about 4 years ago.

I believe real estate agents would make horrible project managers.

Do you know how frustrating it is when they TRY to be interested in ME and ask me questions about my new job, or whatever?  I'm so used to not speaking that my answers are curt, unenthusiastic, and monotone.  I quickly turn the conversation to my needs, because guess what?  I don't NEED a new best friend.  And if I did, it would be NONE of these ladies, I can assure you of that.  Who said I was automatically going with YOU just because we had one phone conversation?  You will know when I am exclusive, when I sign on the dotted line.

Why do I think real estate agents make lousy project managers?  After all, they have to keep a schedule and work with all kinds of people to deliver a unique result in a specific amount of time.  I didn't say they can't deliver the result.  The worst project manager can have a "successful" project.  It's all in how you define success.  How much pain did you have to go through to get there?  How many people were pissed off or stepped on getting there?  Is anyone going to want to work with that person again?

The reason I believe real estate agents are horrible project managers is because:  THEY DO NOT LISTEN!!!  How can you possibly deliver what I want if you won't SHUT UP and listen to my requirements?  You ask  two  questions and presume you know who I am, where I've been, and where I'm going.  Well let me tell you something, sister, you don't know shit.  When you look at me, would you EVER expect that I want..... Chickens?  Really.  I want chickens.  When you look at me, you would never ever guess that, I agree.  And my husband and I are going to have our farm-type property in the country and I will be damned if ANYONE (but the county) is going to tell me how many dogs I can have and that I can't have CHICKENS.  I'll paint my door any color I want.  And god help the person who has a dog I can hear barking.  (No, there will be no rooster.)

Assumptions will always get you into trouble.  Real estate agents should take note.

*Addendum:  I need to adjust my statement about all women real estate agents... because I found one who actually LISTENED!  She didn't interrupt us and she didn't ignore what we were saying!  I am so shocked and surprised.  I think we finally found someone we can work with and who will work FOR us.  Thank goodness.  My faith has been restored.  For now.  I reserve the right to adjust my opinion in the future.

No comments: