Sunday, June 19, 2011

Things I Like (And A Pay It Forward Contest)

I've been pretty irritable lately and negative about a lot of things, so it's time to change my tune.  I have a lot of great changes happening so I need to focus on the positive and just work through the negative stuff as fast as possible.  Heck, it will be Christmas before you know it and all this turmoil will be over.

So, speaking of positive things, Todd and I have been talking lately about the things we will miss around our area.  We have a handful of friends on the list.  There are a couple of restaurants we really enjoy, but we wont really crave any of them later, I don't think.  The few dishes we really like, we can replicate at home.  We have been talking about the places we want to eat as soon as we are back in the KC metro area.  That happens to be a pretty long list! 

Anyway, things I like and will miss around the Reno, NV area besides a few friends:
  • I love driving around town and experiencing the different mountain ranges RIGHT THERE, all around.  It's such a different atmosphere than in the Midwest.  I have never taken for granted how beautiful this environment can be just driving around--Lake Tahoe is right up Mount Rose, there is Peavine Mountain, and then there are the Virginia foothills.  Don't get me wrong, the desert can have some rough, dry, ugly, brown, plain areas with nothing but sticker-tumbleweed plants, but just look up and drive over the hill and you see something completely different.  This is a very diverse area.
  • Within a half hour you can be in town, in the forest up a 7,000' mountain, in the desert, at a lake, or in the foothills searching for and finding wild horses.  Everything is relatively close.  Mountain biking, hiking, skiing (water and snow), etc. is all within a very short drive.
  • NO BUGS.  There are no: fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, silver fish, or slugs.  On the other hand, the only earth worms I have are the one's I brought with me (and they thrived in the compost bin).  I miss lightening bugs, crickets, and cicadas.  We have a few crickets, and when I hear one, I try to pay attention as long as possible before it falls over and croaks from the lack of moisture.
  • Did you see my comment about searching for and finding wild horses?  You betcha.  We can drive 15 minutes away, and find them.  They are AMAZING.  Totally amazing.  We need to do that one last time.
I won a "Pay It Forward" contest hosted by Becky, and I am so excited to finally win one!  If you have not heard of this kind of contest, all you have to do to win is just leave me a comment by midnight on Wednesday 6/22.  Tell me what you like about where you live now, or what you like about a place you have lived in the past.  Then I will randomly choose a winner, and if you win, then you will hold a Pay It Forward contest on your blog.  The winner of your contest hosts one on their blog, etc.

So what is the prize?  I'm not exactly sure....  It will be a care package of neat stuff, probably from one of the areas you are NOT from (NV or MO) so that you get something you may not expect.  But I am sure that it will be fun or tasty, and possibly both!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Focus on the positive - WOO HOOOOO!

I had to struggle to come up with something I would miss about where we are now. The best I can come up with is the safe neighborhood where we live that my kid can be outside for hours playing with her friends and I don't have to worry about her.

OOOOOH - I just thought of another: coconut ice cream!!!!!

Becky said...

I don't know what I would miss if I had to leave my town. The lake, for sure (I would never know what direction I was facing - Lake Erie has always been how I find North! Oh, and it's pretty, too). I'm pretty sure I'd never have such an easy commute to work anywhere else. And there are a couple awesome and unique restaurants here that I might now ache for when I was gone, but I'd make sure to get back to them on every visit back.