Monday, November 28, 2011

More Leftovers Please

I know, I know, it's Christmas time already, would I just give the whole Thanksgiving holiday a rest already?  Nope.  Not as long as there is still turkey and pie left in my fridge. 

I want to share my favorite thing to do with all the leftovers!  My mom reminded me of what I did two years ago which I had completely forgotten I had done!  I can't remember exactly what I did, so I improvised with the idea this year.  Don't you hate it when you forget a wonderful recipe?  Or when your spouse makes something spectacular and doesn't write it down?!?!!

Here is the recipe for my favorite Leftover Thanksgiving Casserole:

Add one whisked egg to about 2.5 cups of mashed potatoes (give or take a cup).  Spread half of that over the bottom of a greased casserole dish.  Next, spread a thin layer of stuffing (preferably cornbread-sausage-craisin-pecan stuffing).  On top of that, spread a layer of turkey.  On top of that, drizzle a layer of gravy.  On top of that, spread the remaining potato-egg mixture.  At this point, you could freeze this for consumption at a later time.  Otherwise, you can refrigerate or cook this dish.

To cook, put the (thawed) casserole in a 350 oven for about 40 minutes, or until heated through.  I spread butter on the top for the last 10 minutes of cooking so the top would brown.  I served extra gravy on the side, oh yes, you know I did. 

I made this casserole after Thanksgiving dinner and cooked it last night.  Todd wasn't excited about it, until I served the plate of hot steaming goodness in front of him.  He ate a 2nd helping.  I forgot to take a picture of this beautiful casserole.  However, I will share with you pictures of our Thanksgiving meal.  You have to realize that I was not going for "pretty" or even decorated at this point.  We are still unpacking from our cross-country move.  The fact that we have plates, utensils, and all the food was prepared and on the table were my only goals.  I will go for "pretty" next year, including nice place mats and a centerpiece, bla bla bla.

Our table of goodness:
(Top to bottom: gravy and turkey, mini-buns, mashed potatoes,
cranberry relish, stuffing, scalloped corn, more gravy)

My plate:

Check back tomorrow for the monkey bread drama which arose this year.  Or pics of our pie buffet.  Not sure which I will write about tomorrow.

1 comment:

TRICIA said...

Pie buffet pics? Now that I'm watching my calorie intake - I food voyer. I could go for some sexy pie pics.