Thursday, August 2, 2012

Todd's 40th

Has anyone close to you made you do something for their big milestone birthday?  Was it something you vowed at some time in your life that you would never ever do?  I'm not talking about anything illegal or harmful.

I had to go along with his wishes for my hubby's 40th birthday.  And as a matter of fact, Suzie & Kevin came along for the ride as well.

And that was after he came home with his ear pierced.  Actually, he was home, and I walked in the door and took 2 steps into the house and stopped dead in my tracks when I saw him.  You think he told me ahead of time?  Nope.  He went to the mall and had the teeny-bopper pierce his ear.  I actually think it's very funny.  Who DOES that?  Todd.  That's who.

So we all flew to Chicago for his big 4th-decade-of-gracing-this-earth-with-his-presence celebration.  It was a really great weekend, one filled with great memories.

I remember that we went a day or two earlier, and they met us there.  Our first stop was to the first bar we saw which happened to be Harry Caray's bar (I think).  Since we hadn't seen them for awhile, I sat next to Suzie, who was next to Kevin, and then Todd on the end.  We were at the bar enjoying a drink.  I must have looked available despite THE SPARKLY RING ON MY FINGER, cause some short dark Italian dude comes up to me and starts hitting on me.  After a couple of minutes of extremely awkward IGNORING THE HELL OUT OF HIM, my hubby leans over from down the bar and waves and says "Hi Honey!".  You would think the guy could take a hint?  I remember that he didn't exactly receive the message because I think all the alcohol he had consumed was blocking some synapses.  Anyway we left and decided to go bull riding.

Suzie was performing surgery on one of the cow holes.
This was the "holey cow".
I think this was the night we ate at a New Orleans type of Cajun restaurant.  I remember enjoying it.


We crashed a party at the museum (it was actually open to the public, but it wasn't obvious until we were leaving) and ate a lot of free food at the Kukla, Fran, and Ollie exhibit.  Who are they again?!?  And can you believe I remember this shit?

We ate at Weber Grill and the idiot waiter dropped BBQ sauce that went all over Kevin and me--we didn't realize it until later.  The food was good, but I was disappointed that they didn't have dessert on the grill.  WHY NOT?

What you can't see?  This was indoors. 
That's a bronze statue of a guy grilling.  On a Weber.  Get it?

We went to China and had dim sum.  First time for Todd and I.  I had never seen prepared chicken feet offered as a dish until that day.  I remember not wanting to eat the "cow eyeball" dumpling-things.  Had a tasty drink.  Bought a cool light display thing we've never seen anywhere else. 
Volcano drinks get me every time.  Yum.
And where does one buy straws THAT long?

Had drinks on top of the John Hancock tour.  I remember Suzie had a "side car" cocktail.  First one I'd ever tasted, and I liked it.  I think I had a Cosmo, it was alright.  I think Kev had a whiskey sour.

Some of us REALLY enjoyed bowling and gourmet cocktails at 10 Pin.

This could have been the key lime martini
We had a fun waitress


OK, so nothing despicable or deplorable, right?  Looks like a fun weekend full of good food, good friends, and good drinks, right?  So what happened that I said I'd NEVER do?

The reason we went to Chicago was.....  Jerry Jerry Jerry.

Yes, Interweblings, I've shared my deep dark secret.  We went to the filming of a Jerry Springer episode.  Because it was the only thing my hubby wanted to do for his 40th birthday.  Besides get his ear pierced.

Us and The Steve
Honestly I have to admit that it was very interesting.  Things I learned at the taping:
  • they place "very blessed" women on the end of each aisle.
  • Jerry really is a dirty old man.  Saw him hitting on some young Asian ladies.
  • If someone has to go use the bathroom during a break, they have someone else sit in the chair so you never see an empty seat.

Oh the horror...  Actually, I hate to admit it.  I'd do it again.  It was that entertaining. 

Where else do you see a skinny old man dance on a pole with red heart underwear?


3 comments:

T said...

Holy snow storms, THAT'S right! Why was the weather always horrible when u picked us up?!

TRICIA said...

OMG!!!! Todd and I share more than I could imagine. I always wanted to be at a recording of Jerry Springer or Price Is Right. The things we keep in our closet.

Toddy said...

AND you couldn't wear a T-Shirt with ANYTHING on it (at the Jerry show)