Tuesday, October 23, 2012

40-Something

Today is my birthday, and it ended up being a great day.  I actually didn't expect much from today.  It's a Tuesday.  We haven't been exactly joyful around here these days.  I only wanted a couple of things:  my bathroom hardware mounted and a few other things around the house done, lunch at Carlos O'Kelly's with Todd, a good long run at the gym and frozen yogurt as a special treat.
 
There wasn't anything I could think of besides those honey-do's that I asked for from Todd.  He got half of them done and I am THRILLED; he'll finish the other half as he has deemed this my "birthday week".  Wahoo for me!
 
He got me pumpkin flavored Eggo waffles.  They are worth a sampling.  Not sure I taste pumpkin, but they are tasty.
 
We had a great Mexican lunch.  I was anticipating seafood pasta at home for dinner.  I mean, it's a Tuesday!  Not really worth going out.
 
We went to my boot store on Sunday to spend the gift certificate my parents got me.  I was going in expecting to get a new belt with a little bling, and ended up walking out with the boots at the top of my wish list!  Thanks mom & dad, you're the best!
 
Really, how can you not LOVE these boots?
I had an awesome run at the gym, a little over 4 miles.  My plan is working, to slowly ramp up my mileage slowly and safely.  My ankles and legs are getting stronger.  I should add some weight/resistance training, but I just haven't yet.  Soon.
 
Then Todd calls me and says we have a change of plans, get home quick because the restaurant closes at 8.  No frozen yogurt for me, we are going out.  Really?  I'm hot, sweaty, and it's a TUESDAY!  Ok, when he's being spontaneous, who am I to rain on his parade?
 
We went to a local little Italian restaurant that has gotten rave reviews on Yelp.  Well you know what?  It was incredible.  Take a look.
 
Appetizer: Arancini ball at midnight, fried mozzarella at 5:00,
fried eggplant at 9:00.  Amazing appetizer!
My favorite part of the appetizer was the arancini ball.  It was mushrooms, risotto, and cheese in a crunchy coated ball.  We both loved the mozzarella with a crispy panko coating.  Todd liked the eggplant because of the incredible sauce and crunchy coating.  I could have skipped the eggplant.
 
Todd got the Mediterranean pizza.  Amazing especially if you love olives! Mmmm, we do.
I know he doesn't look like he's having fun, but he is!

 Next up, Todd's main course
Pasta Carbonara, and they make the pasta by hand.

Remember how I wanted seafood?  I would take seafood over any other kind of meat.  Every time.  Here is my main course.
 
Perfectly cooked salmon over risotto, broccoli rabbe,
sundried tomato, and apple-vermouth sauce.
INCREDIBLE!!!
Dessert was rich, decadent, wonderful chocolate mousse.
This picture doesn't do it justice.  We could only eat half of it.
I brought the other half home.  I was NOT going to waste it.
We came home, and I opened cards and gifts from friends and family.  For not having ANY expectations, this birthday sure turned out to be a really good one.  I got emails and FB wishes all day.  I'll blog about some of my presents soon.  I have to try them out first, and I'm so excited to give them a whirl.
 
What a Tuesday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those boots are FABULOUS!

I'm glad you had such a great day, esp b/c it was unexpected.

SMOOCHES!!

caseyoconnell said...

Happy birthday, T!

Sweet boots! We call those "spider stompers" around here, because you can squash a spider in the corner of the room. :-)