Sunday, October 7, 2012

We Love Breakfast

Gasp, I know, two posts in one day.  What's next, world peace?

I posted one of the pics below on FB and talked about the wonderful Eggs Benedict we made for breakfast this morning.  It's always very tasty.  Except the egg part has always been a challenge.  Until now, that is.

Tullybird asked me how I poached my eggs.  I found one set of instructions that was pretty good, check out this site on how to Poach an Egg.  I have tried adding a tablespoon of vinegar to the water before with limited success.  It was like making egg drop soup.

Here are the tips that helped me pull this off:
  1. Slowly simmering water, not a hard boil.
  2. No salt.
  3. Added about a tablespoon (actually a little less) of white distilled vinegar to the water.
  4. Broke each egg into it's own shallow dish.
  5. Put the lip of the shallow dish slightly under the water level when I poured the egg into the water.
  6. Timed the cooking for 3 minutes.  Next time, I will cook them for 4 minutes.  I did not want to overcook them.
  7. Used a slotted spoon to retrieve them.
  8. Put them on a tea towel to absorb the excess water.
It's a miracle!  The eggs turned out WONDERFUL!

We make a great tag-team in the kitchen.  He grills the ham and makes his perfect hollandaise sauce.  I toast the English muffins and poach the eggs.  

It all comes together to look like this: 


Have you ever seen such a wonderful looking Eggs Benedict?
I didn't think so.

I squealed with delight when I broke open the egg yolk.
Did you hear me?
 
Behold, the power of a perfectly poached egg.

3 comments:

Toddy said...

Yeah, it's good. Can't wait until the next one! New Years day?

Anonymous said...

I KNEW I heard something!

Mouse said...

I've always wondered how to perfectly poach an egg. Thank you!