Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I Should Wear A Cape

I took one step closer to fulfilling one of my goals yesterday. I donated blood. I have a personal goal of donating SIX times in 12 months. Why, you ask? Because I can. And because I should.

Did you know that there is NO SUBSTITUTE for blood?  It can't be manufactured.  And that every two seconds, someone needs a blood transfusion? Someone out there needs my blood. I've got 10 pints in my body, I can easily spare one single pint. While doing research for a speech I gave last week, I learned that blood supplies in the east are low. This is due to the holidays being a time of low donations, and then the continual snow storms have caused havoc with planned blood drives. How can a blood mobile make it to the planned destination in a foot of snow? I learned that they like to have a 3 to 5 day supply of blood in reserves, and they have been operating under less than a ONE day supply for a number of months.  Blood is a very perishable product. It has a shelf life of 35 days. That's why we can't have like two major blood drives a year and have all that we need. 

This is the least I can do to help people I will never meet. I pray that my loved ones will never need donated blood. But if someone does need it, I've given my share. I can donate every 59 days. I've given 3 times in the past 5 months. I'm well on my way to fulfilling my goal.

I will always feel guilty for not having donated since my mid-20's when an inexperienced ignorant nurse who had to stick me several times recommended that I not give blood because I had rolling veins.  I don't have rolling veins, she just didn't have enough experience to do it without hurting me.  I am so impressed with the guys and gals who take blood in my local area.  They look like they are all of 12 years old, and yet they take such pride in their work.  They are very young adults, but they have been very well trained and act with the experience like people twice their age.  All 3 of my experiences have been painless.  Never again will I let an inexperienced nurse do anything to ruin my blood donating experience.  If you've had a similar experience, I urge you to try again.

The most AMAZING fact I learned is that with my single pint of donated blood, I may save up to THREE lives.  To reiterate a few of their motto's: http://www.unitedbloodservices.org/

Be a hero, donate blood. Not all heroes wear a cape.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are my hero!

I should donate blood more. I don't know why I don't. Well, that's not true. I was on the borderline in college (weight-wise) for donating, but they let me do it and I passed out.

I should try again. I think 10+ years is enough time passed.

Toddy said...

It's like V8 juice on crack.

T said...

One of these days when you go down to get parts, you're going to give blood, Todd, you are RIGHT THERE!!!