Sunday, January 23, 2011

Oh Hobby Lobby, How Thou Art Missed

I grew up in the Mid-West.  Having a Hobby Lobby in town was like having a Quick Trip on the corner or a grocery store down the street.  It was just THERE.  Now that I’ve moved out West, I cannot tell you how much I miss Hobby Lobby.  It’s a step above Jo-Ann’s, Michael’s, and Ben Franklin’s (what isn’t). 
Hobby Lobby has religious roots (see: Company Purpose), thus they are closed on Sundays.  The company started and is still headquartered in Oklahoma (see: Our Company).  Maybe that is why I’m so used to taking for granted that there will always be one somewhere nearby. 
For crafty people, their selection of STUFF is always amazing.  It’s the best place to buy a common sized picture frame, fabric, yarn, soap/candle making supplies, and JEWELRY MAKING SUPPLIES.  They not only have the cheap basics for the jewelry making beginner (favorite brand = Jewelry Shoppe Base Metal Jewelry Findings), they have an awesome selection of sterling silver options.  I LOVED hitting their sterling silver case when it was 40% off.  They had sales every week, and I could always wait for what I wantedneeded to go on sale.  Odds were that if it wasn’t on sale that week, it would be on sale the following week.
I live in Nevada.  H-e-l-l-o, we have legal prostitution in some counties, and gambling everywhere you look.  You think NV is high on their list of growth states?  I don’t think so!  The closest Hobby Lobby is Salt Lake City, UT.  It’s a bit of a trek for $40 worth of sterling silver findings.  Kind of defeats the $ I save on the gas I’d have to spend.
Hobby Lobby is not an “advanced” kind of company.  When I first moved here 4 years ago, online shopping was NOT an option on their website.  But in reflecting back, I am actually surprised they had a website.  It was not but just a decade+ ago that they upgraded to automated check outs—I remember going in to the store in Mission, KS, and they still priced everything manually, and the checkers would ring up everything manually (I swear I stepped into some kind of Twilight Zone episode).  So this company is not on the bleeding edge of technology, to say the least.  I am VERY HAPPY TO REPORT, that I just discovered that they FINALLY have some online shopping now!!!  I will be searching for all my regular supplies.  Maybe when they realize how much they end up shipping to NV, they will want to rethink their growth strategy.
Alas, we still have no Quick Trips.  :'(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't miss the QTs at all myself. We don't have them here either. We do have Hobby Lobby though. I love their decor stuff. It's really nice and there is ALWAYS a sale. & if it isn't on sale, you get the 40% off coupon every week. I do love that place and am sorry you don't have one!

donna said...

QT came to Dallas a few years ago, but they don't have them here in Austin. We do have Hobby Lobby. They are kind of antiquated aren't they? They don't scan anything - the cashiers have to manually ring in all the prices.

T said...

OMG--they are STILL in the dark ages there?!?! Isn't it like walking into the 70s again? Wow, I thought for sure they had all changed by now.

QT--I miss mixing a vanilla Dr Pepper, there was a cherry lime soda I loved, maple Long John's, and the vanilla milk shakes that you put in the shake machine. Oh, and I can't even remember all the cappucino-coffee combinations I loved. 7-11 isn't even an option for me, but it's about all we have. Blech!