Saturday, April 2, 2011

Da Dun... Da Dun...Da Dun...Da Da Da Da Da Da

When you were a little kid, do you remember changing from taking baths to showers?  I do.

I had a flash back today, to when I think I was about 5 (maybe).  Perhaps I was a little older but I don't think I was in school yet.  I swear I felt like I was 5 again.  Maybe I was 9, but I don't really remember, so 5 sounds good.

I went to the gym this afternoon.  Hang in there with me on this story, I promise all of this IS related.  I expected the pool area to be crawling with little kids and parents.  At first, I was pleasantly surprised to find the pool.... completely empty.  I've never been in this pool before, this was my first visit.  So I was not entirely sure of the depth in all areas.  I was a little apprehensive, to be in this pool. All. By. Myself.  Come on, I'm an adult here!  No freaky teenage cheesy murder mystery is going to freak me out so that I avoid getting in the pool.  That's why I came here, to GET IN the pool.  I shake off the teenage scream movies, and I get in.  I mean, I'd rather get in unknown waters, than walk around in my swimsuit to survey the pool for all the meat-heads in the weight room to stare at me through the window.

So I get in.  Wow, it's NOT some strong aroma of chlorine.  That's another pleasant surprise.  Come on, I can do this!  Hell, it's only 3 feet deep!  I start swimming, albeit a little timidly.  Wow, it's a salt water pool.  Oh wait, from what bodies did all this sweaty salt get into the water?  Nope, it's *meant* to be salty.  Ok, good.

I wasn't going to use my goggles yet as I start to swim.  If something gets me, I want to see it coming.  I am not exactly doggy paddling, but I'm not swimming to expend energy.  I realize half way across the pool that it IS getting deeper.  Shit.  I keep paddling with Eyes Wide Open.  Wow, I finally made it to the other side.  Whew!  And that's when the flash back happens.

I remember begging my parents to let me stay up to see The Carol Burnett show.  I LOVED her!  She was so funny, even if I know now that I could not have possibly understood even half the jokes.  Score!  I got to stay up and watch.  Bad call, very very bad.  This was the episode where Carol (at least in my minds memory, it was Carol) took a bath.  Da Dun.  I believe it was a bubble bath.  Da Dun.  Then there were bubbles coming up the drain.  Da Dun.  And somehow Jaws came up through the drain and sucked her down.  Da Da Da Da Da Da. 

That was the day I stopped taking baths and starting taking showers.  Well, I didn't go near the bathtub/shower for like a week.  Then when I was made to by my parents, geez thanks guys, I took a very quick shower.  I kept my toes away from the drain too. 

Flash back to reality.  So once I reached the end of the pool, I hopped out and decided to walk back to the shallow end.  Whew, some other people came in and my heebie jeebies finally dissipated.  I got in and swam for real.  But I was still a tiny bit creeped out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

PBS had a 2 hour special on Carol Burnett last month that we watched. I loved that show, too, even if I didn't fully understand the adult humor.

I don't remember the transition to showers, though I know it wasn't the result of some trauma like you. All the shark shows that are on now have definitely made me leery of swimming in the ocean, though.

PS - We're swimming in Vegas, right?? :)

T said...

OH yea!! The pool is supposed to be one of the best parts of The Mirage! It was closed when I was there my first time (in December with freak snow).

I avoid shark shows, and will NEVER watch Open Waters. Ever! I plan to scuba dive sometime in my life again.

Toddy said...

FYI, that wasn't a Baby Ruth at the bottom.

Toddy said...

I recall when I was about 10 or so i went to Six Flags with my best friend and his parents. We stayed at a hotel and it was the first shower I recall taking. COOL! but with new stuff, comes inexperience. I didn't put the shower curtain in the tub, and water got all over the floor, and Bain's mom, who to this day looks like this in my head http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nAmQLWq7QRI/S4FvzcRPvHI/AAAAAAAAEII/pbNJ-vuQ6-8/s1600-h/Dear+Abby.jpg
YELLED at me!