Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Yap Masters

I'm in Toastmasters, so that I can master my fear of public speaking.  It has been a huge confidence booster for my ability to speak publicly.  My "ummmm's" (nervous filler word) have decreased drastically.  However I have noticed that I still say ummm in casual conversations--oh the HORROR!!!  I *must* stop doing that. Right. Now!

I gave my 5th speech tonight.  It was a special speech for me because of the topic I chose.  My objective was to use body language (each speech has a list of objectives).  Not in a theatrical way, but in a natural expressive way.  I accomplished my goal!  And the really cool part was that my competitor was one of the most experienced speakers in my club--and *I* won the Best Speaker ribbon!!  I thought for sure that I wouldn't win, and I was cool with that, and then at the end of the evening, I was awarded the ribbon!

I chose to speak about how I grew up always wanting to go scuba diving.  My dad had been several times and it sounded so cool--a different world down there under the sea.  I got certified when I was 16, but did not have a chance to dive until our family vacation with my nephew and parents in Cancun about 8 years ago (approximately).  That was my first chance to go diving for real (like not in the lake in which I was certified and could not see more than 2 feet in front of my face, or a swimming pool).  I got re-certified before our trip, and my dad along with Todd got certified when we were there in Mexico.  The bad part?  OMG, they both got seasick.  Like really ill.  The boat ride back must have been hellacious.  I felt so bad about making my dad go back out the next day, but my dad told me, he'd go if I wanted to go.  My mom told me not to have any regrets.  So, yes, I wanted to go.  And we went.  What an experience.  It was the biggest leap of faith I have ever taken, jumping into that ocean for the very first time with scuba gear.  And I'm so glad I did it.  I remember being 40' down on the sea floor and looking up.  The blue color was mesmerizing, the movement of the sea was swaying me, the light dappled through the water and the waves at the top looked amazing from the sea floor. I will never forget that sensation. My poor dad got sick again. See, the sea is fine when you are UNDER it, but on the boat on top of the water is a different story. Todd had too much fun the first day and skipped the real trip. That was my dad's last diving excursion by choice, and my very first; and it was a lifelong memory I will never forget.

I got a little choked up during my speech because it is a special memory for me, but I did not falter.  My evaluator made a comment that I give a little of myself in every speech, and I guess that's true.  At least, that's what I try to do, whether I consciously knew it before tonight or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was the comment (giving yourself in every speech) supposed to be a good or bad thing?

Once again, I am so proud of you! You are an amazing person and I am so glad you got to share that special experience with your dad.

T said...

It was a good thing! Meaning that I am sincere and share something about myself, I make it personal. Thanks!!! It was so awesome.