Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

Happy 4th of July everyone! With the exception of the past 3 years, our independence day has always been a special holiday to me. It was so special that it tied as my very favorite holiday of the entire year. No, Christmas isn't one of my favorite holidays. It's too stressful, expensive, and commercialized. Anyway, my other favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. Back to the 4th.

It has always been special to me because it meant family. For as many years as I can remember before we moved to NV, my parents would have a big party. So many of my relatives I rarely get to see would come over for this. We had good food, plentiful drinks, and great company. In the early years, it was a pool party. Since the pool had been filled in and the house expanded, it became an indoor event.

I remember 4ths from long ago. My brothers having a pop-bottle-rocket fight by the orchard trees. The year Todd was known as the dog-whisperer because he could get all the dogs to line up in a row, and then upon his command, they would all take off like jet engines running towards the pool and leap in. The first year our pups were little and Amber barked WITH the fireworks, and the pups decided they liked them. We rated each firework by how many barks were given.

Now that we are back in the Midwest we can continue our old tradition. I can't wait for next fourth of July so we can have a party again and have so much family there, including Todd & my pups. It was weird being in OK without them. It was just what I needed to relax, see a little family, and recharge my batteries but it didn't really feel like the 4th of July. It will next year. Happy birthday, America!

1 comment:

Toddy said...

I didn't hear a single firecracker here, and looking forward to next year when all this shit will be behind us