Sunday, March 13, 2011

Jus, My Hero

My roommate from college is an amazing woman.  She is my only close friend from any kind of school...  I don't keep in touch with anyone from high school, and nobody else from college.  So she is my longest close friend.  Geez, I've known her now more than half my life, yikes.  There can be years that go by when we don't have a chance to communicate, and then something happens and we know we can write or pick up the phone and it's like we pick up right where we left off.  We've seen each other go through a lot, and it is amazing how the years have flown.

Now for a digression in the story, but trust me, it IS related.  I love to drink water (just plain tap, nothing fancy out of a bottle).  Not only is it usually free, but I prefer it ever since I moved to the desert and I drink so much more of it.  I really don't care for soda very often.  When Jus and I would go eat during our freshman and sophomore years of college, I would always order her water for her.  She has an English accent (so adorable) and people could never understand her when she would order water.  Still to this day I always think of her when I order water.

So, why is Jus so amazing, and why is she my hero?  I will tell you, glad you asked.  She joined the National Guard, and she left to fulfill her duty and serve our country on Friday.  I still can't believe it.  I'm so very proud of her!  The other important detail is that she went through and graduated boot camp last year, AND SHE IS MY AGE!!!!  I am so amazed at her courage.  It had to be the hardest thing ever to get through.  I can't imagine the physical stress, or the mental stress, of going through that at our age (with a bunch of youngsters!).  She's one tough cookie.  She wants to do something very meaningful, and she wants to make a difference with her life.  She's doing that. 

I'll update you as she goes on her adventure of a lifetime.  She is stationed at a few bases in the US before being deployed to probably <gulp> Afghanistan.  I worry about her going overseas at such a tumultuous time, and I will not rest easy until she is back safe and sound.  She's got a great family waiting at home to come back to. 

Godspeed, Jus.  And all my love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG, that is truly amazing. I cannot imagine going through basic and all that at our age. I don't think I could do it. Way to go, Jus!!!