Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Round And Round I Go

My awesome buddy Tricia got me hooked on spinning.  I was very reluctant to try it.  It hurts your dierriere!  Why would I want to do something that hurts?  Sounded like crazy talk to me.  BUT that's how she really lost weight and got in shape, so there had to be something to it.

I remember years ago in KS, Suzie tried to talk me into trying spin at the community center, but it just didn't sound like fun to me.  And she got up at some ungodly hour of the morning to go do it.  No way.  Physically, there's no way.  I'm just not a morning person, and I can accept the truth about myself...I don't mentally wake up until 8am and preferrably after 9 and my body wakes up AFTER my mind.

The gym I was going to used to have spin classes so I gave it a try at the urging of Tricia.  The real deal with the pain-in-the-butt: you really do adjust, and kind of get used to it after 3 or 4 weeks, if you consistently stick with it.  I don't think it took me 3 weeks even.  Then I loved it.  The next big thing is the shoes.  Wearing sneakers and using the toe cages just doesn't give you the same workout.  SPD cleated spin shoes are a must for anyone serious about spinning, because they give you a completely different work out.  You maximize your effort.  And isn't that the point?

Well, I'm hooked.  Hook, line, and sinker.  I'd rather go to a spin class than do any other form of exercise (except maybe ride outside).  The main reason I quit my old gym was because they cancelled their spin classes.  And now looking back, there were several other reasons but that was the main one.  I joined Gold's, and I have had the best Spin classes ever.  They are so exhausting and energizing at the same time.  The class I had tonight kicked my butt!  The classes are helping me physically, but the best benefit is the mental part.  It's a huge stress releiver.

If you are mildly curious about a spin class, give it a try.  Don't judge it after your first or second class, and give it a few chances; you might develop a great love for it too!

Oh, another problem you can develop might be friction.  Butt'r is an awesome product for friction.  Also, bag balm is a soothing product for "saddle soreness" after the first couple of workouts.  If you stick with it, you won't need these products for long.  Don't forget the shoes!  And only take classes by certified Spin instructors.  Otherwise they might have you doing some crazy stuff.

Happy Spinning!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd rather pluck my own eyeballs out with a rusty pitchfork.

T said...

Said the person I swore would never jog...

Toddy said...

I'll stick to 12oz arm curls.

TRICIA said...

Looking for a deal on shoes - check out www.nashbar.com. I love that you love Spin. I can't get enough of it. As I posted in my blog (http://reallyoverit.blogspot.com), I Spin for the mental aspects the physical are a great side affect. Can't wait to see you in class. Burned over 1000 calories yesterday. Got to love it!!!!!!