Sunday, March 27, 2011

Texas Pinball Expo

This weekend was the yearly Texas Pinball Expo in Grapevine, that I decided not to attend this year.  I KNEW once it was here, I would regret not going.  It was 87, sunny and beautiful there for Todd yesterday; and it was cold, WINDY, and snowing here at home for me.  But the reason I really miss being there is seeing a lot of our buddies from KC.  He got to pal around with Mitch, Brett, Mike, Jeff, Don, just to mention a few friends.

I just didn't want to spend the money this year for both of us to fly; and I don't have that much vacation time accrued at my new job, so it just made sense to skip a year, save the money, and be home to watch the pups.  I'm still glad I'm not spending the $, but dang, I wish I were there.  Next year, Dawn and I will go.

I remember our first TPE.  It was the end of October 2005, in a different hotel than where they have held it for the past several years.  It was a smaller venue in '05 (and they subsequently moved it to the Spring time).  They had a Halloween costume contest back then.  I remember a scantily clad female police officer, and an Elvis or two.  I remember the Karaoke didn't start until the very end of the evening, and it wasn't BLARINGLY loud like it has been in the new venue.  I can still smell the stewing sour kraut for the bratwursts, like a stench burned into the insides of your nostrils that you just can't get out.  Ok, I don't miss THAT part.

It was a very good time getting together with pinheads from all over.  We made many friends in TX that we still see every year.  (Well not for me this year, cause like I said, I'm not there.)

That first weekend, Dawn could be found playing White Water:

I could be found playing Sopranos (with Don Brownback learning all the tricks as I played):

Todd & Mitch played doubles (each took a flipper):

Gotta love Mitch's shirt:

Told ya, we saw Elvis: 

We always make a stop at Braum's for ice cream and hamburgers.  We always have great BBQ and/or steak.  I remember Mitch and Dawn both ordered Eggs Over My Hammy at Denny's for breakfast that Saturday.  It still amuses me to say it out loud, because it sounds JUST like Eggs Over Miami.  Duh, but it still amuses me.  I can't really explain.

We've been several years between then and now, but that first one will always be one of the very best.  That was my first pinball festival of any kind!  I'll be there with Dawn, next year.  Can't wait!

2 comments:

MitchelWB said...

Don't worry. You didn't miss anything. The games were all dirty. The lines were long. The BBQ was chewy. The beer was all flat. And someone kept farting. Oh wait, that last one was just Todd.

Toddy said...

Not the same without you babe! (but I still had a good time)