Monday, March 21, 2011

You Can Do It Too!

It's time for me to donate blood today, and SAVE UP TO THREE LIVES!  I don't know exactly why I got on this kick, but it feels good (it's relatively painless!!!) to donate something that has no replacement.  Think about it, if you (or rather, your doctor) needed some blood for an upcoming surgery or procedure, it's not like you can go order it online and get it from some lab that synthesized it from a plant or something.  And if you need it because of an accident, I hope the stock is well supplied.  Blood comes from donors.  That's the only place they can get it.


I guess I'm donating for those people I don't know.  I haven't met them.  I don't know what happened that put them in their situation.  But I do know they have an urgent and time sensitive need for something very precious.  I have talked my hubby into going with me!  I'm so proud of him for doing it.  We have a "date" at lunch time today to go to the blood center and donate.  Then we get to eat at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants across the street.  I can't think of a better date (that doesn't involve alcohol).


Think about making an appointment to donate, if you are eligible.  You too could make a life saving impact for someone in need.  Actually the lives of up to THREE people!  I just find that fact amazing.  Go be a hero!  You have it in you.

5 comments:

donna said...

I need to get better about remembering to do it. I have O Negative which means they ALWAYS want my blood. I only seem to remember when Bridget's school has an annual blood drive.

In the past I've given red cells only, which is weird because they take your blood out, it goes into a machine where the red cells are removed and then they put the liquid part of your blood back in you. Supposedly that doubles the effect of your donation. But the plasma that comes back into you is no longer body temperature, and I swear it took me two days to feel like I had warmed back up again.

Bravo to you for donating!

Anonymous said...

You are my hero for doing this. I don't know why I never think of donating blood. I am a loser!

Toddy said...

Hero.... As Hero's hubby is strapped in to a chair, giving a Double Donation, cause he's over 5'8" tall, and in seemingly good health, for 45 minutes having the life sucked out of him, said "hero" is sitting in the next chair NOT giving blood, having her head rubbed with a cool towel, fresh juice brought to her by servant Mike, and shoving her face full of choco chip cookies!!!!

MitchelWB said...

Don't worry T. I'm a fainter. I damn near passed out for a blood test a few months ago. I mean hell, it was 12 of those little tiny vials... like nearly an 1/8th of a donation or something... how much do they need?!?!?!

T said...

Note to self, eat BEFORE donating next time. I was worried about adequately hydrating. Ha. And I don't know about the double red donation part. I think I will do whole blood donation next time, THEN try the double donation after that. I TRIED! And I got Toddy there!